Part I Reading Comprehension (30%)
Directions: There are three passages in this part. Each passage is followed by some questions or unfinished statements. For each of them there are four choices marked A, B, C, and D. You should decide on the best choice and mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through center.
1. In the past, many young people ______.
A. knew the effects of war
B. went in for politics
C. liked to save the wounded in wars
D. were willing to be soldiers
2. Now with TV people can _____.
A. discus politics at an information center
B. show more interest in politics
C. make their own decisions on political affairs
D. express their opinions freely
3. The author thinks that TV advertisements _____.
A. are not reliable on the whole
B. are useless to people
C. are a good guide to adults
D. are very harmful to the young
4. Which is NOT true according to the passage?
A. People have become used to crimes now.
B. With a TV set some problems can be solved quickly.
C. People now like to read books with picture.
D. The adults are less violent than the young.
5. From the passage, we can conclude that _____.
A. children should keep away from TV
B.TV programs should be improved
C. children’s books should have pictures
D. TV has a deep influence on the young
Questions 6 to 10 are based on the following passage:
Nonverbal (非语言的) communication has to do with gestures, movements and closeness of two people when they are talking. (78) The scientists say that those gestures, movements and so on have meaning which words do not carry.
6. According to the passage, nonverbal communication _____.
A. is a method often used by people who cannot speak
B. can tell something that words cannot
C. can be used to talk with people who cannot bear
D. is less used than words
7. The South American _____.
A. tends to keep a distance between himself and the person he is speaking to
B. usually stands close to the person he is talking to
C. is often unfriendly when spoken to
D. is often cold and distant when speaking
8. Which of the following is NOT true?
A. Less eye contact suggests distance in relation.
B. The longer one looks at you , the more interest he has in you.
C. There is more eye contact between people who like each other.
D. Shorter eye contact show more interest in what one is talking about.
9. Too long a gaze _____.
A. may upset people being looked at
B. shows one’s great confidence
C. indicates one’s interest in the talk
D. tells you how friendly one is
10. Constant smiling without apparent reason _____.
A. is a sign of one’s friendliness
B. is a sign of one’s unfriendliness
C. makes people fell happy
D. makes people feel uncomfortable
Questions 11 to 15 are based on the following passage:
In the United States elementary education begins at the age of six. At this stage nearly all the teachers are women, Mostly married. (80) The atmosphere is usually very friendly, and the teachers have now accepted the idea that the important thing is to make the children happy and interested. The old authoritarian (要绝对服从的) methods of education were discredited (不被认可) rather a long time ago - so much so that many people now think that they have gone too far in the direction of trying to make children happy and interested rather than gibing them actual instruction.
The social education of young children tries to make them accept the idea that human beings in a society need to work together for their common good. So the emphasis is on co-operation rather than competition throughout most of this process. This may seem curious, in view of the fact that American society is highly competitive; however, the need for making people sociable in this sense has come to be regarded as one of the functions of education. Most Americans do grow up with competitive ideas, and obviously quite a few as criminals, but it is not fair to say that the educational system fails. Ti probably does succeed in making most people sociable and ready to help one another both in material ways and through kindness and friendliness.
11. According to the passage, the U.S. elementary education is supposed to make children _____.
A. sensible and sensitive B. competitive and interested
C. curious and friendly D. happy and co-operative
12. Some Americans complain about elementary schools because they think _____.
A. children are reluctant to help each other
B. schools lay too much emphasis on co-operation
C. children should grow up with competitive ideas
D. schools give little actual instruction to children
13. The author’s attitude towards American education can be best described as _____.
A. favorable B. negative C. tolerant D. unfriendly
14. The American educational system emphasizes _____.
A. material wealth B. competition C. co-operation D. personal benefit
15. The word “sociable” (Line 8, Paragraph2) most probably means _____.
A. fond of talking freely
B. friendly with other people
C. concerned about social welfare
D. happy at school
Part Ⅱ Vocabulary and Structure (30%)
Directions: In this part there are 30 incomplete sentences. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the ONE answer that best completes the sentence. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
16. Since he left the university, he _____ in an accounting company.
A. has been working B. had worked
C. had been working D. was working
17. The weather in China is different from ____.
A. America B. in America C. that in America D. one in America
18. It was not until dawn _____ their way out of the forest.
A. when they found B. that they found C. did they find D. that they didn’t find
19. ____ he says or does won’t make me change my mind at all.
A. Whatever B However C. Which D. How
20. We all believe that it’d be hard for him to _____ extra responsibilities now.
A. take apart B. take up C. take on D. take back
21. He was very rude to the customs officer, _____ of course made things even worse.
A. who B. whom C. what D. which
22. The goods _____ when we arrived at the airport.
A. were just unloading B. were just been unloading
C. had just unloaded D. were just being unloaded
23. All things _____, the planned trip had to be called off.
A. considered B. be considered C. considering D. having considered
24. ______ purpose did you say their team would beat ours ?
A. For which B. What C. For what D. Which
25. Since there isn’t much time left, you can just tell us bout it ____.
A. in detail B. in short C. in all D. in brief
26. People appreciate _____ with him because he has a good sense of humor.
A. to work B. working C. to have worked D. have working
27. The little village hasn’t changed much _____ a new road and two more stores.
A. except B. besides C. except that D. except for
28. Let’s start working on the project, _____?
A. shall we B. will we C. don’t we D. aren’t we
29. I don’t think it appropriate to _____ such an issue at the meeting .
A. bring in B. bring off C. bring up D. bring about
30. In fact, I would rather have left for the countryside _____ at home.
A. by staying B. than staying C. than to stay D. than have stayed
31. _______ a teacher, one must first be a pupil.
A. Being B. Having been C. To be D. To have been
32. _______, a form must be filled in.
A. If you want to get this job B. In order to get this job
C. Making request for this job D. To ask for this job
33. _______, in a company, Miss Li will become a famous pup singer.
A. It is an employee that B. She was an employee
C. An employee before D. Once an employee
34. He asked her to go to a concert with him but she ______ his invitation _____ politely.
A. turned; down B. turned; out C. turned; away D. turned; up
35. ______ Japanese, she has to study another foreign language.
A. Except B. Except for C. In addition to D. Beside
36. It was while she was sleeping in her bedroom ____ a thief broke into the house.
A. which B. that C. where D. than
37. In learning English we should not ______ students of their mistakes all the time.
A. remind B. remember C. remain D. remark
38. These three teachers vary _____ their manner of teaching.
A. between B. from C. with D. in
39. Who can it be? I’m quite _____ a loss to guess.
A. of B. on C. in D. at
40. The monitor _____ the examination papers to the class for his teacher.
A. delivered B. distributed C. reported D. presented
41. Have you any _____ that you were not there at 9 o’clock last night?
A. statement B. cause C. words D. proof
42. The children looked up as the planes passed _____ .
A. overall B. overhead C. outward D. forward
43. Charles Dickens _____ many wonderful characters in his novels.
A. invented B. discovered C. uncovered D. created
44. Many young people find it harder to appreciate _____ music than pop music.
A. simple B. light C. ancient D. classical
45. If the wounded soldier had been given first _____ , he would not have died.
A. help B. aid C. care D. attention
Part III Identification (10%)
Directions: Each of the following sentences has four underlined parts marked A, B, C and D. Identify the one that is not correct. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
46. We should start [at once ]and not waste [too] much time [to argue] [about] the procedure.
A B C D
47. ["Shall I]give you a cheque [for $10?]" "I'd rather you [give] me $10 [in notes]"
A B C D
48. After [driving] twenty miles, he suddenly [realized] that he [has been]
A B C
[Driving] in a wrong direction.
49. We [will have] to [put off] our departure [in the case] it [rains.]
A B C D
50. The girl [her] father [is] a famous pianist [learned] to play [the] piano
A B C D
w hen she was a small child.
51. This morning I heard [on the radio] [which]the steel industry has
decided [to give] its employees a [10% raise] in pay.
52. [Not knowing] the language and [having no] friends in the country,
he [found impossible] [to get] a job.
53.Once [giving] [a set of] instructions, a computer can gather [a wide ranger]
A B C
of information [for different purposes.]
54. The old man [will never] forget the event, [that] [has changed] his life
A B C
55. Little children [will listen] [what] people say and [try to] imitate
A B C
[what] they hear.
Part IV Cloze (10%)
Directions: there are 20 blanks in the following passage, and for each blank there are 4 choices marked A, B, C and D at the end of the passage. You should choose ONE answer that best fits into the passage. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
In China it is relatively usual to ask people their age, but in the West this question is generally regarded as impolite. This is particularly true 56 women, and even more than 57 if the inquirer is a man.
However, it is very 58 to ask children their age, and some adults may not mind 59 either. In fact, some elderly people are quite happy to 60 their age, especially if they feel they look young 61 their age. Nevertheless, it is not very wise to ask a(n) 62 question like "How old are you?". If elderly people want to talk about their age, and perhaps receive a compliment on how young they look, they may easily 63 the topic themselves, and ask the other person to 64 how old they are. 65 such a question, it is quite acceptable to discuss age 66 . They normally expect to be complimented on their youthfulness, though rather than 67 that they look very old!
68 Westerners do not usually ask people directly how old they are, this does not 69 that they are not interested to know how old other people are. They may ask someone else 70 the information, 71 they may try to 72 the topic indirectly. Sometimes discussions about educational 73 and the number of years of working experience may provide some 74 , but this is not always the 75 .
56. A. on B. for C. in D. of
57. A. that B. such C. than D. so
58. A. average B. normal C. expected D. unusual
59. A. being asked B. asking C. to ask D. to be asked
60. A. release B. reflect C. reveal D. remark
61. A. to B. with C. for D. at
62. A. open B. strange C. impolite D. direct
63. A. bring about B. bring up C. bring along D. bring to
64. A. guess B. know C. learn D. predict
65. A. For B. With C. In D. On
66. A. free B. freedom C. freely D. in a free way
67. A. being told B. told C. to tell D. to be told
68. A. Though even B. Even C. Even that D. Even though
69. A. include B. intend C. mean D. conclude
70. A. about B. of C. with D. for
71. A. rather than B. or else C. so else D. still else
72. A. approach B. solve C. address D. take
73. A. background B. level C. knowledge D. experience
74. A. knowledge B. clues C. evidence D. suggestions
75. A. truth B. case C. reality D. fact
Part V Translation (20%)
Directions: In this part there are five sentences which you should translate into Chinese. These sentences are all taken from the 3 passages you have just read in the part of Reading Comprehension. You can refer back to the passages so as to identify their meanings in the context.
76. Children do not have enough experience to realize that TV shows present an unreal world; that TV advertisements lie to sell products that are sometimes bad or useless.
77．Used to TV shows, where everything is quick and interesting, they do not have the patience to read an article without pictures; to read a book that requires thinking; to listen to a teacher who doesn't do funny things like the people on children's programs.
78. The scientists say that those gestures, movements and so on have meaning which words do not carry.
79. The length of time that the person whom you are speaking to looks at your eyes indicates the mount of interest he has in the things you are talking about.
80. The atmosphere is usually very friendly, and the teachers have now accepted the idea that the important thing is to make the children happy and interested.
Directions: In this part there are five sentences in Chinese. You should translate them into English. Be sure to write clearly.
Question 1：在过去，许多年轻人_____。D 愿意参加战争
【题解】该题为细节考查题，文章的第一段话告诉我们Young men will never again go to war as they did in 1914.电视机的影响使得现在的年轻人不再愿意参军，而是对战争的憎恨，所以合适的题目应该是D 项。
Question 2：有了电视机，人们现在可以______。 B对政治活动更感兴趣。
【题解】该题为细节考查加推断题，根据Better informed, people are more likely to vote, and so to make their opinion count.句意，有了电视机之后，人们可以关注政治局势的进展，更有可能去参与这些活动，故应该选B 项。
Question 3：作者认为电视广告______。 D 对年轻人非常有害
【题解】该题为细节考查题，由第三段第二句话Children do not have enough experience to realize that TV shows present an unreal world; that TV advertisements lie to sell products that are sometimes bad or useless.可以知道，电视广告为了销售一些不好或者无用的商品有时对观众撒谎，可是年轻人往往不能识破真相，因此应该选D 项。
Question 4：根据文章意思，下列选项哪个是错误的？B 有了电视机后，一些问题可以被很快解决。
【题解】该题为细节考查题，文章第一段第二句话The scientists say that those gestures, movements and so on have meaning which words do not carry.
【题解】该题为细节考查题，文章第二段第二句话North Americans often complain that South Americans are unfriendly because they tend to stand close to the North American when speaking, 后面略……
【题解】该题为细节考查题，文章第二段最后一句The length of time that the person whom you are speaking to looks at your eyes indicates the amount of interest he has in the things you are talking about.
【题解】该题为细节考查题，文章第三段第一句话On the other hand, too long a gaze can make people uncomfortable.即长时间看着一个人可能使对方感到不舒服，所以应该是A 项。
Question 10：没有原因的长时间发笑可能______。D 使人感到不舒服
【题解】该题为细节考查题，文章最后一句话Someone who is always smiling, with little apparent reasons, often makes us uneasy.即不明原因的发笑往往令我们不安，故答案应该选C。
Question 11：根据文章意思，美国初等教育应该使孩子们_______。D 开心并且善于合作
【题解】该题为推理考查题，第二段前两句The social education of young children tries to make them accept the idea that human beings in a society need to work together for their common good. So the emphasis is on co-operation rather than competition throughout most of this process.强调的是培养学生合作意识，在第一段里有提到使学生感兴趣，所以应该选D。
【题解】该题为细节考查题，文章第一段最后一句trying to make children happy and interested rather than giving them actual instruction.即只是为了让孩子们高兴和感兴趣而没有给他们实际指导。所以应该选D。
Question 13：下列哪个选项能最好描述作者对美国教育态度？ A赞成的。
【题解】该题为推断或对作者态度考查题，文章结束部分…but it is not fair to say that the educational system fails. It probably does succeed in making most people sociable and ready to help one another both in material ways and through kindness and friendliness.即认为这种教育失败的说法是不公平的，它也有成功之处。所以应该是A。
Question 15：单词＂sociable＂的意思可能是____。 B与别人友好
【题解】该题为词汇考查题，文章最后一句making most people sociable and ready to help one another both in material ways and through kindness and friendliness.
通过比较sociable和ready to help one another两个词组并列关系，可以推断出sociable 的大致意思，故应该选B。
【题解】该题考查的是比较的指代关系，be different from “与……不同”，主语是weather（天气），所以比较的是两个地方的天气，而不是中国的天气和美国比。。后面略……
【题解】该题考查的是强调句型的结构，it is/was not until ＋时间名词＋that 从句。否定的形式已经放到了前边，所以在that从句中就不用再用否定形式。此类题型的关键就是is/was后面带有较长的成分，让应考者想不起来是强调句型。
【题解】该题考查的是动词词组的词意辨析。 take apart“拆开”；take up“拿起, 开始从事”； 后面略……
【题解】该题考查的是介词+关系代词的结构。英语中有for the purpose of“为了……的目”，后面略……。
【题解】该题考查的是介词词组的词意辨析，in detail“详细地”；in short“总之，简而言之（用于概括前边所说的各个分项，进行汇总）”；in all“总共”；in brief “简单扼要地”。后面略……
【题解】该题考查的是祈使句的反义疑问句的用法。所有的肯定形式的祈使句，反义部分都要用will you， 但是let’s 引导的祈使句，要用shall we？。因此这里答案应该是A。
【题解】该题考查的是动词词组的词意辨析。bring in“生产, 介绍引进”；bring off “救出, 完成”；bring up “教育, 培养, 提出”；bring about “使发生, 致使”。后面略……
【题解】该题考查的是would rather do A than do B这一结构。该结构的意思是“宁愿做A也不愿做B”，than前后的结构应该是对称的，than前边是have left，属于完成时态；后面也应该是完成时的结构，所以答案应该是D。
【题解】该题考查的是动词词组的词意辨析。turn down“婉言拒绝”；turn out “打扫,生产”； turn away “转过脸, 解雇”； turn up “找到, 发现, 出现”。根据句子的意思“他叫她一起去音乐会，但是她却婉言拒绝了他的邀请。”所以答案是A。
【题解】该题考查的是动词词组的搭配。只有remind可以使用remind someone of something“使某人想起某事”。后面略……
【题解】该题考查的是与动词vary所搭配的介词，vary from…to…“从……到……有所不同”；vary with…“随着……而变化”；vary in“在……（方面）不同”。
【题解】该题考查的是固定搭配be at a loss to do something“不知道该怎么做”。
【题解】该题考查的是first和名词的固定搭配，first aid的意思是“急救”。其他的名词与first 都不能够成固定的搭配。
【题解】将in the case改为in case，表示以防…。该题混淆了这两个词组得区别。
【题解】该题考查固定搭配用法。It is +adj.+ for somebody (to do something)表示“对某人…”。
57. 【答案】 A
58. 【答案】 B
59. 【答案】 A
60. 【答案】 C
【题解】考查词义辨析。Release “泄露”； reflect“反映”；reveal“揭示，告诉”； remark“评论”。只有C最符合上下文的题意。
62. 【答案】 C
【题解】考查词义辨析。open“开放”； strange“陌生”；impolite“不礼貌”； direct“直接”。只有C最符合上下文的题意。
63. 【答案】 A
【题解】考查词义辨析。Bring about“使发生”； bring up“培养”； bring along“使发展”； bring to“使恢复知觉”。只有A最符合上下文的题意。
64. 【答案】 C
【题解】考查词义辨析。Guess “猜测”；know“知道”； learn“学习”， predict“预测”。只有C最符合上下文的题意。
【题解】考查固定搭配。For such a question表示“对这样的一个问题来说”。
66. 【答案】 C
【题解】考查副词的用法。根据句子结构只能接副词，freely“自由地”；in a free way“以一种自由的方式”。根据句意，C为最佳答案。
67. 【答案】 D
【题解】该题中的rather than为连词，前后结构需要保持一致，前文为expect to …。因此也需要接不定式结构。
68. 【答案】 D
69. 【答案】 C
70. 【答案】 D
【题解】该题考查固定搭配，ask somebody for something“向某人要求某物”。
71. 【答案】 B
72. 【答案】 A
73. 【答案】 A
【题解】该题考查名词的辨析。Background “背景”；level “水平”；knowledge “知识”，experience“经历，经验”。根据题意，表示教育背景。
74. 【答案】 B
75. 【答案】 B
78. 【参考译文】科学家们说，这些姿态、行为等，有着话语所不能承载的含义。 【题解】后面略……
81. 【参考译文】Please raise your hands whoever agree on this suggestion.
82. 【参考译文】No matter how busy you are, you should spend some time visiting your parents.
83. 【参考译文】Each time they visit this city, they can notice that it is taking on a new look.
84. 【参考译文】He got up early so as to catch the first bus.
85. 【参考译文】It was not until yesterday that he changed his mind.